Internet is filled with many wonderful activities for the young child. The learning
opportunities that are available will allow the parent and child to engage in
"online" time that is filled with animation, sound, and movement.
These websites are among the best, have very few advertisements, and encourage
exploration and verbal expression through their ability to be interactive.
and child enjoy computer time together!
And Interacting With Stories & Interactive
Learning Games For The Young Child
- probably the best website to build the idea of sound-symbol
relationships and phonemic awareness. Animated pictures and audio sounds
make children want to read. In the "download" area, simple books
can be printed for children to color and read.
- From Lap To The Laptop - This Montessori website has some
samples of their well-done animated books. Children can hear them read and
follow the print for developing fluency, or read them by themselves. These
are extremely well done.
- Julia's Rainbow
A wonderful interactive website designed by parents of a five year old. It
is very "kid friendly" when it comes to a child's ease of use.
Go directly to Fun & Games.
- Number Time - For the child who is starting to do some
- The Literacy Center - A
website for the preschool child to learn letters, numbers, colors, and
shapes. By utilizing the Parent/Teacher section, ways to use this website
are explained. Remember to always proceed through the numbers at the top
to continue the learning.
- Jaker's Stories - Click on the pictures on the wall. Adult must read story to
- This is Daniel Cook - When children visit Daniel Cook's
house or yard, they choose from many activities for interactive
- Between The
Lions' Stories - These stories are to be read by the child with help from
the parent - They can be printed and activities accompany each story.
- Up To Ten Kids - Choose Up To Ten Kids, then look on the left and choose -
Play Online in Safe Up To Ten Window. Boowa and Kwala have excellent
interactive games for the little ones.
- Kizclub Stories
Hearing these stories and watching the words being highlighted allows the
child to develop fluency in reading. There are three levels of stories and
they can all be printed.
- Chateau Meddybemps - a real opportunity for parents,
teachers, and children to learn together. This website includes learning
activities, stories, and games for the pre-schooler through second grade.
- KidsPsych - Games for Children 1-5 - Very antimated and
large enough for the young child to see.
- Goodnight Stories - Children can read stories which
contain lots of pictures. They can also listen to familiar stories. The
best use of this website would be to have the book for the child to look
at while listening to the story
- Noggin - Lots of cute activities,
including a doodle pad where children can color and paint online!
- Nick, Jr. Games - all of the
characters that are seen on Nickelodeon Junior are here to play some fun
games with your child. The radio symbol and the video camera symbol
in the upper right allow children to listen to songs and to see videos.
- Mightybook - This is a subscription based
website, but the six sample books are worth the visit.
· Story Of The Day -
A new story is read to children every day.
- Build a Snowman - An interactive website that allopws
children to create a snow man and dress him.
- Grimm Fairy Tales -A featured stories and several other of
the Grimm Fairy Tales are read to the child.
- Literactive - Choose The Road To Reading on the right hand
side. These are wonderful, interactive games for children just learning
their sounds and letters.
- Book Pop - Steven Cosgrove reads his stories to children.
- Peep And
The Big Wide World - These learning games
come from TV Ontario and are advertisement free, interactive, colorful,
and so cute.Your children will love them.
- The Bear Cookbook - A cute
book, with animated illustrations and is read to the child.